If you’ve been spared my babble on twitter and facebook, you might’ve somehow missed the fact that I’ve been in Seattle all week learning at An Event Apart.
And y’all know what that means: I’m hacking the site again.
If you’re using Safari or Firefox, you might notice the header and certain aspects of the page design have changed. That’s all done in HTML 5 and CSS 3 — though there’s a lot more to do before the page would align with the current standards. Amazingly, the page now aligns with the way I pictured the header looking when I first started this design a few years ago.
If you’re using Internet Explorer, the page just got more boring looking. Sorry, but IE doesn’t support the new standards yet. (Though if you’re one of the ones on IE 8 tiny bits and pieces are working. And if you’re one of the 20% of my visitors below IE 8 we need to talk anyway, because dude, your browser is a security hazard. The other 80% of the folks here have gotten with the program, and it’s your turn.)
Anyway, everything still works on IE, just doesn’t look quite as fancy as it used to. On the other hand, since I just stripped a bunch of pretty darned large images out of my CSS (and shortened it), and cleaned up the sidebar and some other stuff, hey, you might actually see a performance boost out of it, even if the page did get more boring, and most people are willing to make that trade-off.
If you see anything whacko, snap a screenshot and send it to me at [my nickame] [at symbol] [my nickname dot com]. Or leave a comment. Whatever :)